Nelson & District Credit Union will strive to provide members with solutions to help them pack responsibly for their unique life stages, like education, so they may reach their viewpoints. This process is called the Financial Hike.
Compound coolness! When you make an investment, your interest is compounded, putting you ahead. Regular deposits are easy to arrange, so don’t wait.
A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)is a government-approved plan that allows you, your family, or friend, to save for a child’s post-secondary education. Income earned within the plan is not taxed until it is withdrawn.
We all want our children to have the best start in life. Post-secondary education is one way to provide your child with greater opportunities, not only for enriching their minds but also for a better standard of living. Freedom from the burden of student loans can open the door to pursue other opportunities in the future.
Tuition costs are taking an increasing toll on the average family as colleges and universities shift more of the costs to students, and the burden is growing each year. Start today to grow the education fund by making affordable, convenient monthly deposits.
- The Government of Canada offers the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond as additional funding.
- Income earned within the plan is tax-sheltered until withdrawn.
- An RESP provides long-term planning for a beneficiary to attend a post-secondary institution.
- Contributions belong to the subscriber and can be withdrawn without consequence once the beneficiary is eligible to receive Educational Assistance Payments.
Opening an RESP is not difficult. In fact, it only takes two simple steps:
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Make an appointment at NDCU.
Upon enrolling in a qualifying educational program, which is a course of study that lasts at least three consecutive weeks, with a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work per week, the child named in your plan will become eligible to receive payments from the RESP to help cover the costs of education after high school.
Find out more about using your RESP. Click for more info on RESPs.
Please visit our Rates page to find out more about current rates and product offerings.
*Terms and conditions may apply, and rates are subject to change. Securities and securities related financial planning services are offered through Qtrade Advisor, a division of Qtrade Securities Inc., Member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.