Wire Transfer Services
Members can use Nelson & District Credit Union's incoming and outgoing wire transfer service to transfer funds to any financial institution in Canada, the US or overseas. A minimum fee of $15.50 is charged for all outgoing wire transfers, plus any costs incurred to complete the member request. NDCU charges $5.00 for the receipt of any incoming wire transfers; in addition, there may be charges that will be collected by the sending (or intermediate) institution.
Receiving a wire transfer
The individual or business sending the wire initially transfers the funds to a central financial institution.
For Canadian-dollar transfers, it is then sent directly to your financial institution.
For US dollar and international transfers, it is routed through a number of intermediate institutions before being deposited at your financial institution.
To receive a wire transfer to your account, you will need to provide the following routing instructions, together with your name, complete civic address and account information, to the individual or business sending the wire.
Please note: The wire transfer will not be accepted if the beneficiary name (account holder), complete civic address and account information are not specified.
Routing instructions (download PDF)
Sending a Wire Transfer
To send a wire transfer to any financial institution in Canada, the US or overseas, you must complete and sign a wire-transfer request form available from any Nelson & District Credit Union community branch.
You will need the following information:
- full name of the person to whom you are sending the wire (the beneficiary)
- complete civic address (full legal address / no PO boxes) of both the receiver and sender for all dollar amounts
- branch location, including the bank name, street address, city and country
- account number of the beneficiary
- For transfers to the US, The Bank of America requires a 10-digit beneficiary account number.
- For transfers to Mexico, an 18-digit beneficiary account number is required.
- For transfers to most European countries,* as well as Mauritius and Tunisia, the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) must be used. The IBAN is alphanumeric and the length varies by country. The IBAN is provided by the recipient.
- For transfers to Mexico, Egypt, Hungary, Poland and Bahrain,the ordering customer's name, account number, and address must be included.
- Some countries require a reason for transfer and a beneficiary phone number.
Fees vary depending on the value, currency and the destination country. Non-conforming money transfers will be returned, minus fees. We do not send Canadian funds outside of Canada. Transfers to the United States must be sent in USD. Overseas transfers must be in USD or the local currency of the receiving country.
Domestic transfers initiated by 11:30 a.m. (10:30 a.m. for Ontario) are generally credited on the same business day. Transfers to the US initiated by 11:30 a.m. are generally credited within one business day. International wire transfers initiated by 12:00 p.m. are generally credited within two to four business days.
Many money-wiring scams are initiated through email or by telephone. You may get requests to wire money in order to obtain a prize, participate in a foreign lottery or business opportunity, or to get a credit card or loan. Never respond to such offers.
IBAN-regulated countries include: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mauritius, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom.