MEMBER CARD® DEBIT CARD
The Nelson & District Credit Union MEMBER CARD® debit card
Your NDCU MEMBER CARD® debit card is a great alternative to carrying cash, and allows you to access your accounts 24/7 and across a worldwide network. Pay for your purchases at point-of-sale terminals, and withdraw funds from ATMs in Canada, the United States and around the world.
The MEMBER CARD® is a debit card containing an embedded microchip. The chip gives the card the ability to store and process data in a more secure way to prevent fraud. The MEMBER CARD® also contains contactless technology called Interac Flash. Interac Flash allows you to pay for smaller, everyday purchases quickly, securely and conveniently by holding your new debit card up to a Flash-enabled point-of-sale terminal.
Your MEMBER CARD® debit card is accepted at any ATM or Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal displaying the ACCULINK®, The EXCHANGE®, Interac®, Maestro®, Cirrus® and/or ACCEL® symbols. Regardless of where you travel, all members should be prepared with an alternative payment method as international networks can be finicky.
Daily limits apply to your MEMBER CARD® debit card
With your MEMBER CARD® debit card, you have a daily cash limit that applies to both ATM withdrawals and point-of-sale (POS) transactions for purchases or payments. If you are planning to make a large bill payment (e.g., property taxes, tuition, etc.) or purchase with your MEMBER CARD® that exceeds your daily limit, give us a call to discuss a temporary limit increase.
As a user of a chip-enabled MEMBER CARD® debit card, you are now benefitting from added security. Chip is the latest innovation in the rapidly changing payment technology environment and demonstrates the industry’s efforts to prevent fraud and further secure Canadian electronic payments. CHIP is just a more secure version of the old mag-stripe MEMBER CARD® debit card.
Benefits of chip technology
- enhanced security
- greater convenience
- greater PIN control
Carrying Out a CHIP Transaction
Carrying out a transaction with your new chip MEMBER CARD® debit card will be very similar to how you've done it before. The only difference is that you will insert the card into a terminal rather than swipe it.
Interac Flash - Contactless Payment
It’s a great way to pay
Interac Flash is a contactless payment technology. It allows you to pay for smaller, everyday purchases quickly, securely and conveniently by holding your new debit card up to a Flash-enabled point-of-sale terminal. You’ll be able to use Interac Flash for purchases under $100.
• No more searching for bills or waiting for change
• No need to insert your card or enter your PIN
• Includes Interac’s Zero Liability Policy
Learn more. Click here.
Look for the symbol
MEMBER CARD® debit cards enabled with Interac Flash have the symbol below displayed on the front of the card. If your card doesn’t show the symbol below, it doesn’t have the Interac Flash technology. Any point-of-sale terminals that accept Interac Flash will have the symbol displayed below on or around the point-of-sale terminal. If you’re unsure, just ask the business if they accept Interac Flash.
How to pay using Interac Flash
At any terminal that accepts Interac Flash, simply follow these steps:
1. Hold your card no more than 4 cm in front of the terminal
2. A beep and/or approved message will indicate your transaction is done
3. The purchase amount will be deducted automatically from your everyday bank account
Your spending limit
For security purposes, we’ve set spending limits for your Interac Flash transactions:
• A single transaction can’t exceed $100
• There is a $200 cumulative spending limit. The most you can spend using Interac Flash in consecutive transactions is $200.
• When you reach one of these limits you’ll be prompted to insert your debit card and enter your PIN. This is an added layer of protection that confirms you are the legitimate cardholder. Insert your card, enter your PIN, and your Interac Flash limits are reset
It’s a safe way to pay
Interac Flash uses secure chip processing and does not rely on the magnetic stripe on your debit card. Interac Flash provides you with all the security benefits associated with Interac Debit, including protection against skimming, counterfeiting, replay fraud and electronic pickpocketing.
• It uses the latest chip technology
• Exclusive functionality and security unique to Interac Flash protects every transaction
• The Interac Zero Liability Policy protects you from unauthorized transactions*
• Spending limits provide an added layer of protection. When you reach the set spending limit you’re prompted to enter your PIN, which confirms that you are the legitimate cardholder
*Protection applies to losses resulting from circumstances beyond the cardholder’s control. Some conditions apply. Read more about the Interac Zero Liability Policy.